1 / ♥
I’ve held these words under my tongue for so long
That my soul feels caged, aimless
Estranged from the rest of you
With this minefield between us
That takes continents in its stride
And leaves me shattered in the chasms our silence created
You’ve blown dust over the sand cities we built
And I’m lost in the haze of this wind tunnel
Breathing in the midnight hush as the streets fall asleep
And the sea mist evaporates into salty air
Here is everything I’ve etched
Into river deltas on my palms
And pressed between the pages of my notebooks
The words whispered over coffee shop conversations
And secrets I shared in my sleep
The eyelash wishes I blew into the wind
When no one was watching
176 / ♥
LET THERE BE LIGHT
and God saw the light was good,
and he separated light from darkness.
He called the light day, and the darkness night.
So evening came, and the morning came;
it was the first day. (Genesis 1.1)
Tell me how you dreamt of charming bees and woke up with…
BEAUTIFUL (this deserved all caps)
155014 / ♥
- You are stronger than you realise.
- You are crueller than you realise.
- The smallest words will break your heart.
- You will change. You’re not the same person you were three years ago. You’re not even the same person you were three minutes ago and that’s okay. Especially if you don’t like the person you were three minutes ago.
- People come and go. Some are cigarette breaks, others are forest fires.
- You won’t like your name until you hear someone say it in their sleep.
- You’ll forget your email password but ten years from now you’ll still remember the number of steps up to his flat.
- You don’t have to open the curtains if you don’t want to.
- Never stop yourself texting someone. If you love them at 4 a.m., tell them. If you still love them at 9.30 a.m., tell them again.
- Make sure you have a safe place. Whether it’s the kitchen floor or the Travel section of a bookshop, just make sure you have a safe place.
- You will be scared of all kinds of things, of spiders and clowns and eating alone, but your biggest fear will be that people will see you the way you see yourself.
- Sometimes, looking at someone will be like looking into the sun. Sometimes someone will look at you like you are the sun. Wait for it.
- You will learn how to sleep alone, how to avoid the cold corners but still fill a bed.
- Always be friends with the broken people. They know how to survive.
- You can love someone and hate them, all at once. You can miss them so much you ache but still ignore your phone when they call.
- You are good at something, whether it’s making someone laugh or remembering their birthday. Don’t ever let anyone tell you that these things don’t matter.
- You will always be hungry for love. Always. Even when someone is asleep next to you you’ll envy the pillow touching their cheek and the sheet hiding their skin.
- Loneliness is nothing to do with how many people are around you but how many of them understand you.
- People say I love you all the time. Even when they say, ‘Why didn’t you call me back?’ or ‘He’s an asshole.’ Make sure you’re listening.
- You will be okay.
- You will be okay.
2 / ♥
So, funny story. I was accepted last year and spent a lot of time looking through the tumblr and twitter tags to try and get a sense for what the people were like here. Since I was an international student who had never visited campus, I didn’t know if I’d fit in. There were so many current students on the #tufts2017 sharing their stories and being generally lovely. The first signal that told me that I wanted to come to Tufts was the wonderful, friendly, and caring community I saw on tumblr, who told us incoming students that they loved us already and couldn’t wait for us to be on campus. I actually found out today that one of my friends who’s a sophomore wrote a message that I liked (I see you, Jane :D)
So I send the same love to all of you baby jumbos out there. Tufts is one of the best decisions I’ve ever made, and whether or not it’s the right fit for you, I’m always here if you have any questions or just wanna chat! We really can’t wait to meet all of you. Congrats if you got accepted, and if you didn’t, I promise you that it’s not the end of the world. Everything will work out in the end <3
P.S. If you want to learn more about life on campus, check out the student blogs and the admissions YouTube channel. They really helped me get a sense of the atmosphere here.
P.P.S. I’m seriously so excited for you guys! You’re gonna have a great time :)
14378 / ♥
I wish I didn’t love you so much. No I don’t though; that’s not true. I am glad I do. I don’t know what to say to you except that it tore the heart out of my body saying goodbye to you.
— Vita Sackville-West in a letter to Virginia Woolf, 28 January 1927 (via courcel)